Monday, November 28, 2011

Tis' the Season

Thanksgiving is over. Leftovers still abound. Well, at least in our apartment! While doing dishes at Steve's brother's house, Lorien, our sister-in-law mentioned that she only likes turkey sandwiches as leftovers from Thanksgiving dinner. I started rambling other possibilities to use leftover turkey for:

  • Turkey soup (it's so delicious!)
  • Turkey pot pie
  • Turkey casserole
  • Turkey omlettes
  • Turkey sandwiches
  • Just eating the turkey as it is
Her response? "Ok, Forrest Gump!" (Well, what she really meant was "Bubba", but we both didn't catch that!) I thought the response was both appropriate and funny. 

Now it's time for Christmas. Christmas songs are playing. Christmas movies are showing. Lights are going up. Trees are ready for cutting. Santa is checking his list. Snow is falling~ somewhere, just not here. 

Sales are happening (it's Cyber Monday as I type this). And money is being both spent and saved. 

I have a difficult time with Christmas. I understand and appreciate what the meaning is supposed  to be about. But I feel like the whole holiday spirit is lacking~ a lot. 

People line up to get the best gifts for the least amount. Hey, I'm all about saving, just not at the expense of the loss of life or limb! Or an eye. Maybe a tooth. I could spare a tooth.... or a nail. They grow back, right?

We don't have much money for gift giving this year. So, we're having to be creative and thrifty. And I'm okay with that, because we're blessed regardless of how much money we have. 

And Steve keeps asking me what I want for Christmas. And my response is, "I don't know." 

World peace? That'd be nice, but won't happen. (I'm just being realistic... it's a blessing and a curse, I know.) 

A million dollars. That'd be great, but it won't bring world peace. 

We have good friends. We have good families. We have a place to live, food to eat, clothes to wear. 

And I still have my two front teeth. 

What more could I want? I have a relationship with God. I am saved from my sins through Jesus. I have hope to go to heaven one day. I have an inner peace that surpasses all understanding because of Jesus. I have confidence to come before God and ask Him whatever I want (doesn't mean it's what's best for me, but I can still ask!). Jesus is the best gift I could have ever received. And I got it from my Heavenly Father. (My dad gives pretty good gifts, too!)

I'd rather just spend time with mine and Steve's families, enjoying a good meal, having a good time, making memories with one another. 

That's what I want for Christmas. 

And some wool socks. Maybe a bacon press. (What? I had time to think about it while I was typing!)

 But my life won't be anymore blessed because of those things. My life is blessed because of relationships. 

And I thank God for them~ for you. Because you are the people that make our lives blessed. You may have never given us a gift in your life... at least not one that costs money. But you've given us the gift of your time, your advice, your friendship. And that's what we love about you. 

You are a gift to us. And we hope we've been a gift to you. 

May this Christmas "season" be about being the gift of a friend to someone else. May it be about sharing the love of Jesus to those around you, because He came to serve, not to be served. 

He came as a baby to experience humanity so that He can relate to us. He understands the temptation of sin. He wouldn't have wanted to sin if it wasn't a temptation. He understands the desire to serve self. He understands the struggle of emotional and physical pain. He understands you. 

He came to love those who need it~ which is everybody. 

No comments:

Post a Comment