Tuesday, November 29, 2011

C.S. Lewis and The Last Battle—My Battle with Lewis’ Theology



Okay all you theologians, literature enthusiasts and C.S. Lewis scholars….I need your help reconciling a theological allegory in Lewis’ book The Last Battle in the Chronicles of Narnia series.

Even if you’re not a theologian, literature enthusiast or C.S. Lewis scholar, that’s okay! If you have a perspective to help me understand what I’m about to ask, then by all means, contribute!

(Spoiler alert! If you haven’t read the books and don’t want the ending spoiled for you, then you might not want to read on. )

I need to presume some allegorical connections that I infer C.S. Lewis meant before I ask my question:
     Aslan resembles Jesus. The idea of Tash takes after Satan.     
     Aslan’s country is heaven. Yes? This is what I’ve concluded.

Disclaimer/Qualifer/Addendum: Keep in mind that the thoughts that follow below are not intended to imply that we can earn our way to heaven by doing good deeds. I understand that we don’t earn heaven, but that it’s by God grace through Jesus Christ that we can confidently come into His presence. This is important to remember when reading what I have to say.

Towards the end of Lewis’ book The Last Battle in the chapter Further Up and Further In, the world of Narnia has just ended. It was destroyed by Aslan himself. After Aslan separated the creatures (to the right and left) and the world is ended. Peter, Edmund, Lucy, Digory, Polly, Eustace and Jill , who travelled to Narnia in previous Narnia books,  are in Aslan’s country with other Narnian creatures Aslan allowed in.

Another creature, a man, made it into Aslan’s world also. He’s from Calormen, a place neighboring Narnia and follows the god, Tash. Everything he ever did was for Tash. He came with his fellow countrymen to conquer Narnia. And somehow he made it into Aslan’s world.

C.S. Lewis’ theology disguised in the conversation below is what I’m struggling with. It goes something like this:  

“…I have served Tash all my days and not him [Aslan],”  Emeth, the Calormen, says to Peter, Lucy and everyone else there, recounting his encounter with Aslan when Emeth entered through the small door to Aslan’s country as Narnia was ending.

“Son, thou art welcome [into Aslan’s country],” says Aslan.

“Alas, Lord, I am no son of thine but the servant of Tash.”

“Child, all the service thou hast done to Tash, I account as service done to me.”

“Is it true then that thou and Tash are one?” The Lion growled so that the earth shook…and said, “It is false. Not because he and I are one, but because we are opposites—I take to me the services which thou hast done to him. For I and he are of such different kinds that no service which is vile can be done to me, and none which is not vile can be done to him. Therefore, if any man swear by Tash and keep his oath for the oath’s sake, it is by me that he has truly sworn, though he know it not, and it is I who reward him. And if any man do a cruelty in my name, then, though he says the name Aslan, it is Tash by whom he serves and by Tash his deed is accepted.”

To be objective first, what is your perspective of this conversation?

What is Lewis trying to communicate to the reader here? Really, think about this before you read on. I don’t want your perspective to be tainted by mine.

My struggle is this: It seems that Lewis is saying that one can serve Satan (Tash) by doing good deeds and it be credited to God/Jesus (Aslan).

I know that God can credit anything he wants. And I know that it’s not by our good deeds that we earn heaven. 

I get that.

Emeth then says, “Yet I have been seeking Tash all my days.” [He still acknowledges serving another god.]

Beloved, unless thy desire has been for me thou wouldst not have sought so long and so truly. For all find what they truly seek,” replied Aslan.

So if this foreigner was following Tash all his life and didn’t even acknowledge the existence of Aslan, how does he get into Aslan’s world? Emeth admitted twice to only serving Tash! 

The Bible says:
21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
~Matthew 7:21-23 NIV

How then can one do good deeds, not know Jesus and go to heaven? This seems to be what Lewis implies in the above conversation. I know a lot of good people who do a lot of good that don’t know Jesus, but from my understanding of the Bible, being “good” and doing good doesn’t qualify you to get you into heaven. Jesus does. And having a relationship with Him is key.

I can’t think of a scripture to reference that indicates that those serving Satan and doing “good” will get into heaven. I believe that Satan is capable of doing good deeds. He masquerades as an angel of light. Does that mean he’ll get to go to heaven? I believe that he twists the truth just enough that it’s believable enough for people to follow, but they’re not following God.

Eve ate the fruit in the garden. Like the Pharisees in Jesus’ time. They thought that what they were doing was God’s will. And yet they committed murder in the name of God. They lied. Some probably put power as their “god”. The Spanish Inquisition was done in the name of God. The Crusades were done in the name of God. Killing in the name of God. All because they said their purpose was to serve God when in reality I think it was to quench their own desires for greed and power. They can say and even believe their purpose is right, but if it goes against God’s Word, then they’re the ones in error. Not God. God knows our hearts, what’s truly in them.

But I digress.

It seems to me that Lewis is implying that one can serve another “god”, or Satan as the allegory implies, and still go to heaven.  Is this a reasonable conclusion for the allegory? And I don’t mean that one can serve another “god”, then later serve God and go to heaven—because that is not the impression Lewis seems to be giving here. There is no indication that Emeth ever chose to seek and serve Aslan.

If this is not the correct interpretation, then please help me to understand the theology Lewis is trying to convey in this conversation between Aslan and Emeth. Really. Because I like C.S. Lewis. I’ve loved the theology he’s included in the whole Narnia series. And I don’t want to not like him based on this one part of his book if this is the theology he’s trying to convey to the reader. I just don’t agree with that theology.

Again, I ramble.

I don’t understand how if I choose to serve Satan (or other “gods”, or myself as my own “god”, money as my “god”, etc.) how those good deeds in that service equate service to God. I know there is only one God, Jehovah. And I know that many people follow Satan in different forms and most don’t even know it or believe that they are. So if I don’t believe or know that there’s One True God and I do good works and I never seek Him, how then does that “allow” me into heaven? (Again, our works don’t get us into heaven.)

Even if I was seeking “a higher power” or a “spiritual being”, but have no relationship with God, how does that get me into heaven?

And yes, I know God can do anything. But I also believe that He has “conditions”. Our God loves unconditionally. Yes. No matter what bad things we’ve done, He loves us and wants us in a relationship with Him. But there are “conditions” for a relationship with Him. Sure.

We must meet Him. Get to know Him. Obey Him. Have faith in Him. Keep trying to follow Him. Believe in Jesus. Praise Him. Honor people—especially fellow believers. But it is still by His grace that He lets us into His presence and into heaven. It’s not a game or a race. It’s not about “Who knows God best”. God wants us all there. He wants us to choose Him and to serve Him. It’s not about our perfection, rather about His. Jesus makes us perfect because we can never be perfect. And God demands perfection. That’s why He sent Jesus to satisfy His wrath through perfect obedience to the Law and to sacrifice His life to pay the price, which is death.

Steve says it’s just a fictional story. Yes, I agree. But I think we must also agree that Lewis wrote this story with metaphorical references to Jesus, heaven and the Bible~that there is a message Lewis wanted to share with his readers. 

Yes?

Well, I think so. If you don’t, then we can sit down together and discuss it.

So, what do you think? Am I correct in what Lewis seems to be implying? Do you have some other insight that may help with my perspective of this conversation and theology Lewis seems to be implying? I am having a difficult time reconciling this section of his book with what the Bible teaches.

I welcome your thoughts. Don’t hold back. But be gentle. J

5 comments:

  1. I have read this book, and recently too. The kid Aslan is talking to grew up in the country who never knew or always rejected Aslan, and so this kid was never even given the opportunity to choose between 'gods.' That's why he keeps reminding Aslan how unworthy he is because he's always only "served" Tash. BUT, all his life this kid knows deep down, somehow, that there IS such a thing as Goodness and Truth, and because of that faith of his, he decides to act accordingly, such as being honest and keeping all his promises, being courageous and valiant, helping others, etc... I think Aslan was telling him that even though he was serving the name of "Tash", he was actually acting in His Goodness and with faith in Him, even though the kid didn't know Aslan's real name. Because in the book, when the kid went into that shed, he knew for certain that what he was beholding was the REAL God, even though he didn't know the name, but he recognized Aslan as the Truth he had been searching and living for all his life. I think Lewis was addressing the issue of all those millions of people in history who never had the opportunity to know the name of Jesus, but yet have sensed God's Truth and Love and Sacrifice and Goodness, and have believed it. I'm definitely not a theologian, but I think the Lord is more merciful than we can even believe. I'm not saying EVERYONE that's ever lived get into heaven just because they THINK they are serving a god. I'm just saying that God knows all people's hearts, and he has ridiculous mercy and grace for all His Children, and we have no idea (and cannot judge) who believes enough to earn eternal life. That's what I thought about when I read this book, anyway. :-)
    -Katrina W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead of Tash = Satan, I think it seems more like Tash = Allah. The fact that characters in the story are trying to say that Aslan and Tash are the same, even renaming him "Tashlan," is particularly poignant if you take this viewpoint. When I was in high school and reading these books, I loved that Lewis made this allowance. Now I feel a bit more like you, Jewel. God's grace is boundless, but he's true to his word. If it was true that ignorance = innocence, missionaries everywhere do the world a huge disservice. I think maybe this is supposed to be an example of Hebrews 6:11 "He rewards those who diligently seek him," but like you, I think this theology could be dangerous. I don't know. If I have kids someday, I want them to read this series because I think it's wonderful on the whole, but it's not infallible, and I would at least discuss this with them. It's fiction, yes, but every story has a purpose, and it's our responsibility to either accept or reject those purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to add, it's interesting that Lewis obviously rejects "Tashlan," but allows for this one servant of Tash to have been unknowingly serving Aslan. It's a little confusing to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Romans 2:6-16 NIV
    6 God “will repay each person according to what they have done.”[a] 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.
    12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. 14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

    Who will be seen in heaven?
    I think the Tash=Allah interpretation is closer to the mark than Tash=Satan. At the risk of offending some that might read this, what about Tash=Mary? How many have done works in the name of Christ and/or his mother Mary? Of course I don't know the heart of Mother Teresa. I know the pattern of her life. God knows both. How many people lived and strived as Christians through history without the ability to read and know the scriptures themselves? They were completely dependent upon others to tell them what "God says". And in some cases people did the right thing in spite of what they may have been told.
    Unfortunately, I think few people (relatively speaking of all of humanity that ever existed) ever find a way to live the greatest commandments, but I think that is what God is ultimately looking for. Love God....and Love your neighbor as yourself. And perhaps the second commandment is much harder than the first.
    What about the Buddhist monk who runs an orphanage with no pay or benefit for himself? Or the European capitalist that risks everything to protect an innocent people targeted because of their heritage? Or the Hindu doctor that gives her time and skill to repair birth defects in children for people that could NEVER afford it? These deeds reflect the hearts of these people. God knows their deeds and their hearts in their entirety.
    Who will be in heaven? Might it be Mother Teresa? A woman who knew sacrifice and charity in a way that is legendary in history? How many others haved lived their lives in total anonymity in the depths of unrecorded history and have sacrificed the way she did and perhaps with far less results than her? Probably only a few. After all, only 1 Calormen was singled out.
    In the end, Jesus can choose whomever he wants and say "This one is mine." It was HIS blood. And he is the author of salvation.
    This takes nothing away from the preaching of the Gospel. It is still the truth and it is still what we need to know since it is the answer to our sinful nature. Those that have heard it should listen to the truth in the actions and words of Jesus. Love.
    -Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your perspectives! They definitely give me something more to think about, especially Tash equaling to Allah or some other Christian "religion".

    I'm still not certain as to the allegorical connection regarding Aslan letting Emeth into his country as I am not aware of a scripture that indicates such an occasion.

    I do not see scriptural evidence that good deeds done in ignorance to the existence of God equates seeking and serving Him, thus "allowing" the person into heaven.

    And so, with your thoughts and perspectives, I will continue to ponder this... well, until either I am satisfied with a resolution or I am content with not understanding this section and move on with my life!

    ReplyDelete